Harvard Business Review’s Answer Exchange lists some great ways to foster an inspired work environment:
- Regularly explain to your employees the importance of their work to the company’s larger goals.
- Break down long-term assignments into clear, achievable, short-term milestones that can be celebrated when achieved.
- Demonstrate confidence in your employees’ ability to overcome problems.
- Regularly take employees aside and ask them if they feel challenged, listened to, and recognized.
- When giving feedback, balance negative criticism with feedback that accentuates the positive.
- Always recognize others for a job well done. Use rewards to acknowledge superior performance.
- Celebrate every success and milestone.
Originally posted on HBR Answer Exchange (now defunct); Adapted from the book Leading People: Pocket Mentor Series, Harvard Business Press