Books recommended by professionals in the following LinkedIn groups: I-O Practitioners Network and SIOP – The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
I-O PSYCHOLOGY: (Leadership, HR, Assessment, Job Analysis, Ethics, etc.)
- Aamodt, M. G. (2013). Industrial/organizational psychology: An applied approach (7th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Bass, B. M. (2008). The Bass handbook of leadership: Theory, research, and managerial applications (4th ed.). New York: Free Press.
- Brannick, M. T., Levine, E. L., & Morgeson, F. P. (2007). Job and work analysis: Methods, research & applications for human resource management (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Cascio, W. F., & Aguinis, H. (2011). Applied psychology in human resources management (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Crocker, L., & Algina, J. (2006). Introduction to classical & modern test theory. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Gatewood, R., Feild, H. S., & Barrick, M. (2011). Human resource selection (7th ed.). Mason, OH: South-Western/Cengage.
- Guion, R. M. (2011). Assessment, measurement, and prediction for personnel decisions (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Gutman, A., Koppes, L. L., & Vodanovich, S. J. (2010). EEO law and personnel practices (3rd ed.). New York: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Landy, F. J. & Conte, J. M. (2013). Work in the 21st century: An introduction to industrial and organizational psychology (4th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Lefkowitz, J. (2003). Ethics and values in industrial-organizational psychology. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates.
- Lowman, R.L. (2006). The ethical practice of psychology in organizations (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- McPhail, S. M., Church, A. H., & Waclawski, J. (2007). Alternative validation strategies: Developing new and leveraging existing validity evidence. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Muchinsky, P. M. (2011). Psychology applied to work (10th ed.). Summerfield, NC: Hypergraphic Press.
- Northouse, P. G. (2013). Leadership: Theory and practice (6th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Whetzel, D. L., & Wheaton, G. R. (2007). Applied measurement: Industrial psychology in human resources management. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates.
- Yukl, G. (2012). Leadership in organizations (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
COACHING (BUSINESS and EXECUTIVE COACHING):
Many of the books on this list came from a survey by Dr. David B. Peterson (while he was Senior VP at PDI Ninth House) asking leading coaching professionals for their recommendations.
- Cox, E., Bachkirova, T., & Clutterbuck, D. (Eds.). (2010). The complete handbook of coaching. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Hargrove, R. A. (1995). Masterful coaching: Extraordinary results by impacting people and the way they think and work together. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass/Pfeiffer.
- Hernez-Broome, G., & Boyce, L.A. (2011). Advancing executive coaching: Setting the course for successful leadership coaching. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Kilburg, R. R. (2000). Executive coaching: Developing managerial wisdom in a world of chaos. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Kilburg, R. R., & Diedrich, R. C. (Eds.). (2007). The wisdom of coaching: Essential papers in consulting psychology for a world of change. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Kimsey-House, H., Kimsey-House, K., Sandahl, P., & Whitworth, L. (2011). Co-active coaching: Changing business, transforming lives (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Nicholas Brealey Publishing.
- O’Neill, M. B. (2007). Executive coaching with backbone and heart: A systems approach to engaging leaders with their challenges (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Palmer, S., & Whybrow, A. (Eds.). (2007). Handbook of coaching psychology: A guide for practitioners. New York: Routledge.
- Passmore, J. (Ed.). (2010). Excellence in coaching: The industry guide (2nd ed.). London: Kogan Page.
- Peltier, B. (2010). The psychology of executive coaching: Theory and application (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Peterson, D. B. (2010). Executive coaching: A critical review and recommendations for advancing the practice. In S. Zedeck (Ed.), APA handbook of industrial and organizational psychology: Vol. 2. Selecting and developing members of the organization (pp. 527-566). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Stout-Rostron, S. (2009). Business coaching international: Transforming individuals and organizations. London: Karnac.
*Peterson (2010) is a book chapter in the APA handbook of industrial and organizational psychology: Vol. 2. Selecting and developing members of the organization.